About Dr. Mohammed Kalan, MD, FRCS, FACS,
Board-certified and fellowship-trained surgeon Mohammed Kalan, MD, FRCS, FACS, is a distinguished physician providing superior services at the Washington Institute of Surgery in Silver Spring, Maryland. Dr. Kalan is a Clinical Professor of Surgery, and Surgeon in Chief at the Washington Institute of Surgery in Washington, DC. He is an internationally acknowledged expert in gastrointestinal and colorectal surgery, and surgical oncology, using the most advanced laparoscopic techniques.
Dr. Kalan received specialist training in colorectal surgery and surgical oncology in the United Kingdom and completed a fellowship in minimally invasive surgery at the George Washington University Hospital, Washington, DC.
He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery. Dr. Kalan is among the elite few who is also a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He has served on committees for leading professional organizations, including the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, and the Society for Surgical Oncology.
Dr. Kalan has been the lead investigator in clinical research trials studying outcomes in topics such as repair of ventral hernias, rectal prolapse, and colon cancer screening. He’s also served as chair or moderator at many leading professional conferences and symposiums for organizations such as the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons that dealt with topics including hernia, robotic surgery, pancreaticobiliary disease, and cancers.
Dr. Kalan has published book chapters on his areas of expertise. He has been a prolific speaker, both nationally and internationally, as well as over a hundred seminars and abstracts, posters, and video presentations.
He has published clinical papers in peer-reviewed academic journals, including Archives of Surgery, Surgical Endoscopy, Annals of Plastic Surgery, American Journal of Roentgenology, the Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, and Surgical Rounds. He has been a reviewer for the Cochrane Review of Outcomes in Colorectal Surgery, recognized as a hub for medical research throughout the world. Dr. Kalan is also a peer reviewer for leading journals.
Dr. Kalan is the recipient of multiple awards and honors, most notably being named a Top Doctor by the Washingtonian from 2016-2019 and a Top 10 Oncologist in the American Registry of Top 10 Doctors.
Dr. Kalan is fluent in English, German, Persian (Farsi), Hindi, Urdu, Marathi, and Gujarati. In what little spare time he has outside of his devotion to his patients, Dr. Kalan enjoys hiking, photography, reading, and music.
- FACS | San Francisco, CA | 2002
- MD | Philadelphi
a, PA | 1999
- FRCS | London, England, U.K. | 1993
- FRCS (Ed.) | Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K. | 1990
- MS (Surgery) | Poona, INDIA | 1986
- MB BS | Poona, INDIA | 1984
- Top Doctor, Colon and Rectal Surgery, Bethesda Magazine - 2021
- Top Doctor, Washingtonian - 2020
- Top Doctor, Washingtonian - 2019
- Top Doctor, Washingtonian - 2018
- Top Doctor, Washingtonian - 2017
- Top Doctor, Washingtonian - 2016
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America - 2016
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America - 2015
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America - 2014
- Charter Member of Peer Reviewed Physicians, Peer Reviewed Professionals - 2013
- Top Ten Oncologist, American Registry, Top 10 Doctors - 2013
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America – 2013
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America - 2012
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America - 2011
- America’s Top Surgeons, Consumers’ Research Council of America - 2010
- Sibley Memorial Hospital - Northwest Washington, D.C.
- Suburban Hospital - Bethesda, MD
- George Washington University Hospital - Northwest Washington, D.C.
- Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center - Rockville, MD
- Holy Cross Hospital - Silver Spring, MD
- Private Surgical Suite - Chevy Chase, MD
If your insurance plan is not listed below or you not sure about your coverage, please feel free to contact us. We will be happy to verify the coverage or referral information for you, prior to your appointment. If your insurance plan requires a specialist referral from your primary medical doctor, please make sure to bring your referral note with you for your appointment.
8630 Fenton ST, #122
Silver Spring, MD 20910